Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Counting My Blessings

Over four years ago I decided to take charge of my life and my happiness. After much given thought and just a lingering sense of sadness I asked my then husband for a divorce. I think as humans we are uncomfortable with such action, as you know someone's feelings are going to get hurt and is not easy, no matter how prepared you think you are or how many times you have rehearsed the words inside your head. As predicted, it wasn't pretty. There were many back and forth moments, many "we can work this out, let's go to marriage counseling", let's take a vacation -things were tried, but the heart was no longer in it. It's hard to explain how one gets to that point. Every person gets married madly in love (or so I hope) but that spark is not easy to keep when you feel like you are with the wrong person; someone with values and expectations that are completely different from yours, or someone who has become very different than the person you thought you loved. In either case, and right now it doesn't seem to matter, the fact that I was living every day of my life in sadness didn't sit well with me and I had to start mending my life, starting with the first part I could identify, which was my failed marriage.


After the divorce paperwork was started, filed, accepted, and signed months later -divorcing takes so much longer than getting married- I found myself single again and thought I would be single for a while and I would just take care of myself. But life had a different plan for me. A set of events happened to me and placed me in the best ride of my life. I was standing at a food court on the Army base where I was stationed, I remember perfectly, it was about noon. I was walking by Charley's Grilled Subs and I saw this man and I was just mesmerized. I'd been in the military for so long and I was used to be around attractive men in uniform, but something about this man in a firefighter uniform just struck me. It struck me so much I tried to find him on MySpace. I had no luck with my search of "firefighter" near "96858" so I had pretty much given up when I thought to look for the word "fire." I found one person under that search: A young man who was 22 at the time, and whom I knew wasn't the person I saw at the food court. In my curiosity for seeing more of his pictures I added him to my friends and it wasn't long until we began communicating via email and he invited me out.

I went out with "MySpace guy" with apprehension due to his age; I was 28 at the time and not really interested in dating a 22-year-old. But he was so sweet, so kind, I continued seeing him every day and the more time I spent with him, the less I wanted to be away from him. One thing that made me fall head over heels for him was the feeling and knowledge that he accepted me for who I was, he's never judged me for any reason, and he supports every decision I make. He's my friend and I have learned true love with him. I pray that we have a long life together and can see each other grow old. He is the most amazing husband and father and every day I feel I'm more in love than the day before -I did not know that was possible, but it is, and it's amazing! I'm so proud he is the father of my children and I'm so thankful that the mysterious man in the food court led me to him. Thanks babe for the happiness you bring and for the beautiful family we've made together.

I never in my wildest dreams thought it would be this way, that's why every day I count my blessings!

Stay beautiful,
Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment