Friday, June 1, 2012

Rice Powder


D&E Handmade Cosmetics Touch-Up Veil
 I offer a wonderful product in my store, but I believe I have only sold it once or twice. This product is my mineral veil. This product is really amazing, really soft and fluffy. It provides great oil control, minimizes lines, wrinkles, and pores, and the jar that it comes in is huge. It's a 20 gram jar for only $7.99. I like to evaluate why such product doesn't sell more often, and I can only come to one conclusion: one of the ingredients is cosmetic grade cornstarch.

Cornstarch has acquired a bad reputation, especially among those who have acne. I have read blog after blog as to why we should avoid cornstarch, especially if you're prone to acne. This is really sad, considering how great of a product cornstarch contributes to. This acne-prone blogger over here says that she started using a L'oreal product without knowing it contained corn starch until after she started using it, and even though she wouldn't have purchased if she knew it contained cornstarch, she states that she really likes the product and she haven't had any problems with it so far. Interesting.

I think a lot of the problems with acne have to do with oil, and not so much what kind of powder you're using. If you don't clean your brushes frequently, oil and bacteria will build up in there, and it will make you breakout. I'm really against those minerals that have a screw/unscrew brush cap. I think that it's disgusting, because you are creating bacterial contact 100% of the time with that brush. The worse thing you can do to your skin is not clean the tools that you use to apply your cosmetics.

It doesn't matter if I believe in my product so much, since people don't want to purchase it. I'm considering moving from cornstarch to rice powder. Rice powder it's about 25% more expensive, which means I will have to charge a little bit more for the product. But apparently rice powder has some really great properties, so I will experiment and see how it goes.

What is your preference? Do you pay attention to the ingredients of the makeup you wear? Or do you just look for minerals/vegan/organic labels in general?

Thank you so much for reading. Until the next one.

Stay beautiful,
Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment